Skip to main content

Happiness Tool 2 - Optimism

The biggest difference between optimists and pessimists is that optimists assume good things are permanent and pervade every area of their lives, and they assume bad things are
temporary and isolated to their limited context. Pessimists do the opposite.
For most things that happen in life, we’ll never know the real reason why they happened, if
there even was one, so we might as well use the more positive interpretation when we
explain things to ourselves.

For example, say I apply for a job but don’t hear back. If I’m an optimist, I’ll assume that
it’s nothing personal and I will get a job eventually, whether this one or a different one.
In contrast, if I’m a pessimist, I might start freaking out that nobody wants to hire me
because I’m fundamentally flawed, I will never get a job, and nothing will ever get any better.

It’s the reverse for positive events. Let’s say I enter a picture I took in a photography contest, and win. If I’m an optimist, I will explain it as being a good photographer and having a lot of success in life overall, whereas if I’m a pessimist, I’m more likely to say it was a fluke, or I just got lucky this time. It seems pretty obvious that the optimistic approach will lead to more positive feelings. But is it foolish to think that way? I say no. We never learn the true explanation
for most situations in life. Was the cashier rude to you because he looks down on you, or
because he’s having a rotten day? Chances are, you’ll never know, but the fact is, people
mostly think about themselves and their own issues. If they do something thoughtless, it’s probably just that: thoughtlessness. Even in the rare case that someone is trying to hurt
you, it’s because they’re screwed up or suffering in some way—it’s still really not about
you. It’s far more likely the cashier was rude because of something in his own life.
Furthermore, you will be happier if you assume his bad manners are due to his own issues.
That’s two good reasons to assume it has nothing to do with you and move on.

Any time you have a choice, choose to explain good situations to yourself as pervasive and
long-term, and bad situations as temporary and isolated. 

Refuse to take bad things personally. Even if you don’t believe these explanations at first, just assume them for the sake of argument, and see how it works out.

I’m betting you’ll like it enough to stick with it.

Share you opinions, more tomorrow 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Human Condition - A 9jalicious Serial

design#promo#business#celebrity##love#life#mindovermatter#mindpower#mindcontrol#mindfulness#mindovermatter#dreamer#nerd#nerdlife#clever#bookish#booklovers#bookworms#inspiration#inspiredtransformers#inspiration#inspirational#wordstoaction#extensionofenergies#poetry#positivity#powerofpositivity#individuality#winner#winninmindset#lifelove#Queendom#poetry#9jaliousthoughts #9jaliciousBrainChild #@9jalicious #9jaliciousquotes #design9jalicious #TheHumanCondition Series #YouWillDoWantYou'reMent2Do

Happiness Tool 3 - Defeating Faulty Thinking 1

One of the best things I ever learned about being happier is “don’t believe everything you think.” We all know that our eyes and ears can deceive us, our hearts don’t always have the best judgment, and our hormones can lead us astray. But our thoughts are sacred! We have to listen them because they’re the rational part... right?
Not necessarily. Our thoughts are shaped by our assumptions about the world (this is what I refer to as "world view" I commented about this at the bottom of yesterday's post), and sometimes those assumptions are just plain wrong. Our thoughts are also shaped by what
we’ve been in the habit of thinking about in the past. The pathways in your brain become more established each time you go down them, and
the ones you don’t use fade away. That’s why many of us can sing the words to our favorite
songs with almost no effort, but hardly remember any world history or trigonometry.
Each time you think about something, you’re reinforcing that path in your brain…

Fork- Heart & Brain