Love to Read

I would really like to see more bookshops in London that sell 9ja authors because there's a certain flavour derived when you read a book that is akin to your background the only problem being, if your book doesn't make the best seller list or any other list for that matter it won't be seen  on the selves of Waterstones or more popularly in the UK WHSmith anyway, I know that it is a niche market and the onset of the Internet makes it difficult to sell these books and the independent retailers are closing up shop.

There used to be a great bookshop near me which has been here for as long as I can remember but this year it closed which was a crying shame because of the ambiance and the service you received when you went in there, it is @ this very bookshop that I bought the 1st novel of Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie Half of a Yellow Sun and I felt "all warm inside @ being able to do that, proud that one of our own had made it! in those days nobody said "she don hamma"

Last year I went to the same shop to buy Uwem Akpan's Say You're One of Them (Oprah's Book Club) after Oprah selected his book for her reading list but even more fascinatingly I discovered he was a Jesuit priest (Well I never) a 9ja Jesuit Priest this was something else! Nigerians are mighty innovative and we do soo much with soo little.

Niche books can be ordered online through Amazon however I would really want to find another beautiful little bookshop where awesome black authors "can be picked off the shelf" albeit  my tastes are diverse and not limited to black author's. I'm currently love Tess Gerristen  Ice Cold: A Rizzoli & Isles Novel who's books are "unputdownable"! which is the measure of a good book!

I have a large collection which I'm currently recycling. If you're an avid reader and would like a book tell me which genre you like and I'll give you something from my collection and my books are in VERY good condition.

Happy Reading !

Comments

Popular Posts